Thursday 5 May 2016

Restarting In Heelwork To Music

Last Summer, I decided to start training in Heelwork To Music with Earl. Due to busy times, we soon decided that it was getting on top of us. However, after being told that me and Earl had the potential of getting to Crufts in the sport, I couldn't continue resisting! Recently, we have returned to Heelwork To Music training in which we have both been thoroughly enjoying. Things that we need to focus on and work towards mastering are the 'beg' command (which he is incredibly close to perfecting and is pictured below) and Earl's confidence when making contact with and standing on new, different and previously unknown objects. We have been advised to try clicker training for confidence building exercises, which is a positive reinforcement based training technique that uses the clicking sound to mark desired behaviour and steps in the right direction. I am trying to gradually introduce Earl to the clicker and its meaning, with the hope of using it to build his confidence when working with inanimate objects. Props are incredibly useful in Heelwork To Music routines, as they help to add a story, meaning and a little more excitement to a routine.

Earl

We have chosen a song for a routine that we are currently in the process of developing, we have chosen a theme and a couple of favoured moves, and now all we need is to keep training! Heelwork To Music is a sport that both me and Earl absolutely love, and Earl definitely has the skill and willingness required to succeed. And if he doesn't know what I want him to do, he'll fire anything and everything he knows at me depending on my position! He really does aim to please and nothing else!

Do you do Heelwork To Music with your dog or trick train?


We are joining Ruckus The EskieLove Is Being Owned By A Husky and Barking From The Bayou in the Thoughtless Thursday Blog Hop. Thank you!


18 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've been thinking of doing HTM with Chris...all he knows that would be helpful in this is sit and spin, but we'll work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on that! We would never do anything like that as heel isn't something we really work on. We don't like it, and neither does my mom, but I bet you routine to music would be super cool to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are doing the Freestyle aspect of HTM, which is basically putting tricks and commands together in a routine to music.

      Delete
  3. HTM is my favorite dog sport to watch. I hope to see you guys at Crufts one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to perform at Crufts in Agility and/or HTM one day, hehe!

      Delete
  4. We are going to have to check into this. We're not sure what it is!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freestyle To Music, which is what we are doing, is where you link tricks together into a routine along with music. Heelwork To Music is where you link Obedience moves together into a routine along with music.

      Delete
  5. That's so awesome that you guys are working on that! I've always wanted to train heelwork to music! I think it would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it to watch this in a video from Crufts... I would like to try that too with Easy... but he is more with Phil Collins: I can't dance :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love watching heeling to music teams. It always looks like everybody is really enjoying themselves. I hope you make it to Crufts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so fun! We are aiming to make it to Crufts in Agility and/or HTM one day, hehe!

      Delete
  8. Earl looks so sweet! Good luck in your training, I'm sure you'll do brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck wth your training. It sounds challenging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It can be a challenge, but it's so much fun!

      Delete