Friday 4 September 2015

Mental And Physical Exercise

As we dog owners should know, both mental and physical exercise is paramount for a happy, healthy dog. Without these in our dogs' lives, we may see restlessness, 'annoying' behaviour such as pestering, and other unwanted behaviours. These should be taken as signs of an unhappy and unfulfilled dog, and should be acted upon. We also want to keep our dogs in good shape and condition, which some of the suggestions below can easily do.

Dogs enjoy walking, running, playing, and more. But dogs also love learning new commands and putting them into practice. For example, here is Ethel on the bucket. I have taught her to step up onto the bucket, and step down again. I have also taught her to step up onto the bucket and spin around with her hind legs, keeping her front feet on the upside down bucket.


There is so much you can do to keep your dog both mentally and physically happy, including teaching him/her new commands. The bucket one Ethel demonstrates above is good for using her body and gaining her own bodily awareness, learning something new and using her brain, and spending time working with me. You'll both also find it to be a lot of fun!

What do you do to keep your dog mentally and physically happy?


We're joining our hosts SlimDoggy, To Dog With Love and My GBGV Life in the FitDog Friday Blog Hop. We send many thanks their way, and you can join in below.


26 comments:

  1. Aw I love a bit of bucket spinning. You are a clever girl Ethel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We walk, run, and play chase for physical exercise and do our modeling, nose work and tracking for our mental workouts. It is true to be happy a dog needs some of each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant work guys! It sounds like you have a happy and balanced life nailed!

      Delete
  3. I've started teaching my dogs the names of their toys. I saw a video of a dog who knew many and could fetch the right one. I thought that was super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl can do this, too! It's amazing to teach and watch!

      Delete
  4. That's very true! Well done Ethel, you're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jedi and I enjoy puzzle toys and silly tricks. Not only is it good mental stimulation, it also makes for a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We couldn't agree more! People love watching my dogs perform!

      Delete
  6. Mr. N knows how to pivot too! He had a stage where he thought I wanted him to pivot on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good boy Mr N! Haha, I bet that was hilarious!

      Delete
  7. Hi Y'all!

    That's a cool exercise!

    Y'all come on back,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree... and we will work on some commands this weekend... I hope I have enough treats in my pocket :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Ethel you are very clever! I had just mastered'Sit' although ONLY when there's a treat on offer!
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yippee, well done! Haha, we agree... food is a brilliant reward!

      Delete
  10. I just did a post over on 4knines.com about mental and physical stimulation. SO important for our pets!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like Ethel is having fun!

    ReplyDelete