Friday 23 October 2015

Tricks Are NOT 'Pointless' Nor 'Cruel'!

It always infuriated me to hear someone telling a brilliant dog owner/trainer that teaching their dog tricks is 'pointless' and/or 'cruel'. Leaning new skills, for our dogs, is fulfilling their desire to work, keeping them both mentally and physically in good condition, broadening their horizons and stretching their capabilities as an intelligent species, strengthening the bond between human and dog, and doing all these things to the handler, as well. Therefore, as you can see, teaching your dog tricks is NOT pointless.

As for being 'cruel'... have I EVER heard anything more ridiculous in my life? NO! A simple search on YouTube should suggest to you that dogs performing tricks with their owner are NOT unhappy. ANY kind human interaction, for our dogs, makes them incredibly happy. REAL cruelty is beating a dog, shoving him/her in a cage full of his own business and underfeeding/watering him. Oh, and much, much worse. As you can see, Earl here LOVES performing with me, and so does Ethel; you can see her ear near my leg!

Does this face look unhappy to you?

To all those wonderful dog enthusiasts out there that love teaching their dogs new skills and exercises, continue to listen to your dog and enjoy him; have fun!

All in all, there is nothing I love to see more than a happy dog and a happy owner learning as a team!

P.S. If your dog doesn't enjoy tricks, for any reason, we obviously accept this! However, most dogs who are trained positively and will care and kindness adore performing with their loving owners, who only hold good intentions for their beloved dogs.


We're joining our hosts SlimDoggyTo Dog With Love and My GBGV Life in the FitDog Friday Blog Hop. We send many thanks their way, and you can join in below.




38 comments:

  1. Cruel? That just doesn't make sense...maybe if they aren't into it and you force them, but like you said - most dogs love the interaction and it's great mental exercise for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's ridiculous. People who think that obviously haven't seen a dog performing before.

      Delete
  2. That is such a silly notion. Dogs love to perform and enjoy showing off! It is obvious that Earl and Ethel LOVE what they are doing. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. Isn't it ridiculous? Earl and Ethel love nothing more than performing with me, and I them.

      Delete
  3. Dogs love doing tricks! It's good for them, and such fun! For dog and handler! Love that trick Earl's doing there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love performing with my dogs, as they do me. It's a fairly new exercise we're progressing with!

      Delete
  4. We will do tricks, but it isn't our favorite thing to do, just like we could fetch but we don't really care to. We do other things like poses, sports, etc. Dogs who enjoy tricks are a great thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some dogs aren't that fussed, but it isn't cruel! As long as the dog is happy.

      Delete
  5. Bella, Terra, and Kronos's eyes light up when it's trick time-they thoroughly enjoy learning new things and doing the tricks once they've been learned. Good job Earl and Ethel!

    www.tiffanysdiamonddogs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine's do, as well! They love performing and having fun with me!

      Delete
  6. I am SO with you on this. I once had a lady at the dog park tell me my dogs were abused because I trained them. She thought that by training a dog, you are breaking their spirit. I was so mad. I tried to explain that my dogs are trained with positive reinforcement and that they love their tricks but she wasn't having any of it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How horrible! Our dogs LOVE performing and having fun with us; she obviously couldn't see the fun.

      Delete
  7. I agree!! I think anytime we are spending time together is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's crazy. Dogs love learning and impressing their owners. People have crazy ideas about animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. People have mad ideas about many things.

      Delete
  9. Mr. N loves learning and doing tricks and performing. I think there was actually a study that showed dogs LIKE earning their food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he's brilliant doing it as well! Earning a reward is a fulfilling and enjoyable thing for our dogs!

      Delete
  10. Anyone sayin dat doesn't understand anything about dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. They are uneducated and unqualified to comment on the happiness of a species they are blind towards.

      Delete
  11. I never ever thought tricks were cruel, but I have to be honest, I sometimes thought they were just silly, and for the humans' entertainment only...like fetching a beer from the fridge and such. But now that I am doing it with my own dog, I know just how wrong I was. Luke LOVES learning tricks, and it is building his confidence (he is fearful so needs that), and it has created a special bond between him and I that is priceless. Great post, thank you!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs LOVE working for their owners, whether that is a beer from the fridge, or weaving between our legs!

      Delete
  12. Dogs get bored when they don't have something to hold their attention. They like to learn tricks.

    Come on by. We're having a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Tired dogs are happy dogs, mentally and physically!

      Delete
  13. Wow, who in the world would consider dog training cruel, when it's done in a positive way where both K9 & human enjoy learning from one another?! Mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most dogs look quite proud when they show off a new skill.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some people are lacking brain cells! LOL!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's the craziest thing I've heard! Rocco LOVES learning new tricks and the LOVES showing them off! He gets a crazy gleam in his eye and of course enjoys the treats, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And me. Isn't in beyond ridiculous. My dogs ADORE performing.

      Delete
  17. I do not understand that way of thinking but I have had people tell me that hunting our dogs is cruel to the dog. Um OK. They are working dogs not couch potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I! And I couldn't agree with you more!

      Delete