Sunday 10 August 2014

Black And White Sunday - The details of pure Wobby

Earl has what we call, 'wobby' ears at times.


Cute but wobby ears...

Can you see what I mean?? Let me explain in further detail.

If you can see that Earl's left ear, right as you look at it, is not straight and is rather wonky, then you have grasped the basics. 

Said ear is looking completely different to Earl's other ear. This ear is straight.

Now Earl and a few others dogs in his litter were born with a slight tendency to 'wob' their ears. Earl's breeder, who has recently bred another litter of Border Terrier puppies, commented that she was quite disappointed that all puppies had both of their ears 'flying'. We call it wobby. She said this from a showing point of view.

Wobby ears usually occur naturally. That is just the way these dogs were born. However, when the ears on a go go back against the head, this shows the dog is uncomfortable, upset, confused, and moods and emotions similar to these example three. 

Earl also has a wobby paw. Now this isn't bred into a dog (usually), however some dogs do it to show confusion, or a feeling of sorry-for-themselves. 

SOME DOGS, however, may lift their paw to show an INJURY, so if your dog is limping, take him to the vet ASAP. When a dog is sat down, he may lift his paw to show an injury, especially if he limps when walking. If this is very uncommon of your dog, a check may be necessary at the vets.


Ironically, Earl's EARS are perfect here, as we move onto our next wobby topic...

Focus your attention not as much here today on that B-E-A-utiful BT smoochie face, but Earl's left paw, right one as you look at it. This is because he wants a piece of cheese, being cut on the worktop. He is so eager to get some, and needs some now. So he is in a state of panic. No cheese! It is also a state of wonder and confusion. How to get the cheese? Will it fall? Oh My Dog!

And Earl is not limping, so he is fine.



So now you know more on the subject of WOBBY LOOKING DOGS! Bless their adorable, funny little selves.

Now Ethel, she is not so wobby. Her ears just curl up with fur at the ends! CUTE!


I just love the individual quirks of dogs!


We're participating in the Black And White Sunday Blog Hop hosted by Dachshund Nola and Sugar The Golden Retriever - thanks again, pals!


37 comments:

  1. I think it's cute but I can see how the ears wouldn't be appreciated from a conformation point-of-view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pickles has the same problem with her ear. If you massage it as a pup it will improve. They often develop this at the time if teething so watch Ethel. I think it is cute so I left it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the word "wobby" :D One of mine has a wobby ear as well--but seeing as all my dogs are rescues, and mutts to boot, that's not really a surprise. Several do the leg thing, as well. Some I've trained to--shake hands, etc.--but others, especially my reactive ones, do it instinctively. According to my behaviorist friends, it's a negotiation signal: look how harmless I am. For one of my dogs, it's totally backfired: her signals of "I'm harmless" have provoked the others to attack her instead. *Sigh*

    Love Earl. Happy Sunday to you all!
    Guilie @ Life In Dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Yeah. I've taught Earl to wave, high five, paw, high ten!!! Sounds complicated.

      Thanks! You too!

      Delete
  4. Quirks are the best! Love the wobby ear and the curly fur on Ethel! Both such cuties ;) xo, Miss Destiny & momma Asia

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMD. I love all those ears--and paws. My Rosie had one ear that stuck up and one that flopped down when she was a puppy. It was adorable, And then one day, the up one flopped, and then she had two floppy ears.

    I think those little curls at the end of Ethel's ears are Just. Too. Cute.

    Wags (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the wobby ear look actually. We don't show at all, even though we are purebreds, so we really don't care about perfection. I am a perfect GBGV specimen anyway, but Bailie is too tall and her ears are a bit short, but we don't mind. All that matters is that all dogs are happy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Earl and Ethel are so cute! I never knew what a wobbly ear was before, very interesting. I have a corgi and I noticed sometimes corgi puppies have one ear up and one ear down and I always wondered why some were that way. I'm guessing it's a characteristic from breeding as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, that's just what we call it...

      Delete
  8. I love his wobbly ears!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to use the word "wobby" now ... love it. Golden Woofs

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahem, unable to spell my own dog's name correctly. Where's the "edit" key when you need it!!

      Delete
  11. One of my idiots has super-wobby ears: she quite often holds them at different heights on her head. The other...what word would you use for ears that go all the way from flat back against the head, through flipped over, all the way to pricked up? My collie boy's do that! Love to Earl and Ethel from Daisy and Cybi @ http://adventuresofamadcollie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry, and I would use the term 'crazy' ears then, BOLBOLBOL!!!

      Delete
  12. Holman thinks I have a wobby brain sometimes...... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi I've just got a blog and added it to the blog hop thingymabob but I'm not really sure how to use it oh and the blog is called my mutt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mommy says the more quirky a dog is the more lovable he or she is. Kisses to Earl and Ethel!

    ReplyDelete