Thursday 26 November 2015

Can you Allow Your Dog In Your Garden Alone?

Many of us have gardens. We enjoy our gardens, and, for many of us, enjoy sharing it with your dogs even more. But are our dogs safe in our gardens? And can you leave your dog unsupervised in your garden for any period of time? I give my opinion and advice on this topic below.

It depends, is my initial answer. Before you decide whether it is safe to leave YOUR dog is YOUR garden alone for a period of time, be honest when answering a) is your garden secure? If your answer is no, secure it for your dog's usage before you allow him into it. Even when you're with your dog, your garden must be secure. And b) is your dog good at escaping or will attempt to do so? If yes, he needs to be supervised at all times when in the garden. If no, you may have a dog who enjoys to potter around the garden and come back when he's done.

Earl

My dogs are those dogs. Earl will mooch around our secure garden with me in the knowledge that he will come back when he has done. He will also bark his head off if anyone comes to the gate/into view from the garden. Once, a man opposite us was trimming his tree, and I had to bring Earl in due to his barking! Ethel is also one of those dogs. I'm sure, if the gate was left wide open, both dogs would go for a small wander. However, neither of them purposefully seek a way of escapism, which gives me confidence in letting them out into the garden. However, I am always keeping an eye out when my dogs are in the garden. More times than not, I am outside with them when they are in the garden. However, it is much easier for all involved to simply let the dogs out to do their business when they whine at the door.

Having a dog who barks instinctively if anyone comes to the door/gate if helpful and puts your mind at ease when letting him into the garden. Keep a watch and a listen out for your dog, and if he sounds his alarm, you can go and investigate what the problem is. Sometimes, however, it may simply be a hedgehog or bird! Dog thefts have been known to occur in the garden, so ensure you keep watch of your dog, even if he is reliable. Secure your garden, so your dog cannot escape, and possible thieves cannot get in. Do not leave your dog outside when no one is in; it is simply a recipe for disaster and

Do you allow your dog into the garden unattended for any period? Is your dog reliable, or is he more of a mischief seeker?

So, my answer is quite simple. If your dog is reliable, keep a watch on him whilst he is outside. If your dog is not reliable, go outside with him when he goes outside. Oh, and never leave your dog outside in the dark.


We're joining our hosts 2 Brown Dawgs and Heart Like A Dog in the Thursday Barks And Bytes Blog Hop. We send many thanks their way, and you can join in below.



14 comments:

  1. Poppy is an escape artist but our garden is as secure as we can get it, fence-wise! I'm happy to leave her in the garden alone, but only if someone's downstairs and can see her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same. I can't leave my dogs alone for a long period of time without worry.

      Delete
  2. Mom is a worrier, so she usually has her eyes on us if we are out, and if it is dark we are only allowed out for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! Earl is probably more trustworthy than Ethel, but either of them, I still worry.

      Delete
  3. Hi Y'all!

    I'm never alone out of doors. If I don't see my Human I immediately go looking. When we're in the high country I have a small fenced area, but won't go alone. I stand and bark at the door if my Human steps back inside. They couldn't fence the remainder of my yard because drilling through the rock was too time consuming. The fence people refused to do it.

    My Human spent more than a year keepin' me on a leash, then a check cord before she ever trusted me fully. Now I go lots of places without a leash, but never without my Human close at hand, within my sight.

    She might trust me, but I don't trust her not to go hide on me.

    Y'all come on back,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't walk my dogs off lead unless we go to the field. Only in the garden, and even then, I like to keep watch.

      Delete
  4. No way
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice,Happy Thanksgiving,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a really large fenced in backyard so the boys are allowed to go our unsupervised during the day. I am always checking on them and unless they are enjoying resting in the sunshine, chasing squirrels or digging moles, they usually come right back inside to the air conditioning. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!

    Before we had the Chessies we had a Golden and we could let him out unsupervised and he would never leave our yard. We cannot have fences where we live, but all we had to do was to show him the boundary and that was that. 13 years and never left. We could also have us out front with us as we did yard work and never had to worry about him going into the street.

    We don't do that with Chessies...lol. They have invisible fence in the back and are supervised. Not allowed off lead in front at all.

    Thanks so much for joining the hop. We were away for the holiday weekend so I am just not stopping by to visit hoppers and will catch up the rest later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He sounds like an incredibly good dog.

      Delete