Saturday 4 May 2013

Earl's Great Escape...

As you've probably guessed by the title of this entry, Earl escaped the other day. Since the fence between ours and our neighbour's garden blew down, we have been wary about him being outside unsupervised. We went out with his for ages at first whilst work was being done to build up new panels replacing the hole, however, we finally gained trust in Earl not to wander off and let him outside by himself, whilst we watched here and then to make sure he hadn't escaped. He never did at first. But the other morning, my mum said she found Earl in our neighbours flower beds, so all his independence drained and he was back to being supervised AT ALL TIMES!!!

Anyway, the part of the real action comes now... I came home from school and whilst I was changing from my uniform, Earl was outside with my mum watching him. She was having a phone chat at the time, and nipped out of the room to fetch something, Earl unsupervised. In this time, he snook out! I realized, when I was changed, he was gone, so both me and my mum called and called, inside and outside, his name, but he didn't come. I was worried now, as I'd checked my neighbour's garden now too, stepping just inside and calling Earl. He didn't come - he was nowhere!

Now I raced up the garden and shouted him from the gate, an I heard his tag on his collar rattling back and forth somewhere close, but he was out of sight. I couldn't bare it! Then I heard my neighbour tell my mum at the bottom of the garden, that Earl was out the front and wandering. With this, I saw the locked gate and with no second thoughts, dived over the gate landing on the other side, running towards the road. That's when I heard Earl's tag again; I peered round my neighbour's side fence and I saw Earl, trying to get to me, pacing up and down and looking up at the top of the fence, obviously responsing to my call.

I told him a firm 'wait, you wait...' and I ran towards the path and over the small wall into my neightbour's front garden, grabbing Earl's collar and scooping him up into my arms. With this we went back over the wall and round to my front drive, where my neighbour and my mum were, talking about how my neighbour had left the front gate open because he was gardening, and Earl must have escaped out of there!! I was sooooo suppperrrr relieved to have Earl back - what if I hadn't noticed he was missing??

My mum, held a packet of treats to rattle to get Earl back, just in case he had wandered further and we had had to go on a trek to bring him home... I didn't give him a treat though because he'd just escaped of course!

So that was Earl's great escape, and I have him in my arms once again.......



......... But no way! Today, he just escaped again.............................................

He's luckily back, and can't go out now unless I'm with him all time. He's such a naughty boy!

Earl and I.



4 comments:

  1. I am so pleased your little boy is okay! Once what I do a couple of months back when I moved into my new house, I forgot there was no gate on the garden and I let Charlie out in the garden, still half asleep as I just woke up for school, and I just went in the shower because I only take 5 minutes or so in the morning. In the shower, I remembered there was no gate, I know he doesn't run off if I am there but does when I'm gone. Luckily a neighbour saw read his tag and brought him home!! :P ! Naughty boys! Jess and Charlie Boy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bless him! Glad he was brought home!! I hate thinking about the 'What If?'s don't you!! Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad they're all ok! You had me worried there!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh CC, don't worry they're fine xxx

    ReplyDelete