Saturday 8 June 2013

Our First dog Display

Today was the the day that Earl and I performed our first ever team dog (agility/heelwork) display... and we are absolutely over the moon with how it went! I am so proud of us both - especially Earl who in a practice run ran straight past one jump and the dog walk because of a distraction elsewhere in the field. I was worried that this would happen in the real thing, but it didn't!! Yesss!! 

On the first run of the day Earl swerved a jump and refused to leg weave - however, I didn't expect much because we had never even done a team display before! So I was still very pleased. We then chilled out, had lunch, browsed stalls and my dad and I even had a game of archery whilst we waited for our next run to come around. When it did, the tension rose again, but Earl and I stuck together and worked it out of our systems - Earl walked perfectly at my side for the off-lead part, and did the leg weaves quite naturally. By the time the agility came round, we were calmer and more prepared after doing our first run earlier in the morning anyway! No mistakes were made and we had a great time, surrounded by our closest human and doggy friends. 

I am so proud, and so relieved we did it! The cuddle I gave Earl when it was all over was so huge, I didn't expect him to stand it, bless him; but he did - I think he was proud and happy too. 

(We did set this agility equipment up, VERY early in the morning too you know! Pahaha!)

When the team filtered out of the ring at the end of the display, we had claps and cheers and people came haring towards us with smiles and welcoming arms for the dogs too. The dogs were cuddled dramatically, and patted by young children. I proudly talked about Earl to the audience, and they smiled and replied about how well we did, and how amazing they thought the display(s) was/were!! 

So afterwards, as a special treat and congratulations, we got half price for 15 minutes on the epic, giant bouncy slide together! It was so much fun, we all had such a laugh and a perfectly wonderful time; the dogs were being held whilst this happened, no worries!

Then we got changed from our 'uniform' (which I adore!!!!!!) and drove happily to the pub together to have a celebration drink(s!) and meal which was scrumptious. I am shattered! And so is Earl! He is currently on my bed letting SBD doggy farts seep out...!! 

We had a great day, so here are the pictures!!! 

Some of the set up.


Flaked - after the first run!?

This photo calls for some 'awwwww's!

Calls for smiles!!!

Relaxing for the car journey home.

Resting up back at home.



So, we had a WONDERFUL day! It could have gone better, but that would be amazing if it did - on our first display, everything can't be expected to go 110% now can it? 

It also could have gone SOOO MUCHHH worse! I am relieved to be back home after an epic day, it was such a blast! I can't wait for a day like this again!

Now our next huge day is in July, when we do our first ever individual dog and handler agility competition! I am looking forward to it lots!!

Until next time!

Earl and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment