Thursday 2 July 2015

Dog Cooling Mat Fail

As it's been scorching hot here recently, I decided, only the other day, to get the dogs' cooling mat back out after one year of being packed away in the dogs' own cupboard. Well, excited as I was to rediscover this cool product for the second time, I pulled it out and unveiled it outside. To say the least, I was disappointed and my face dropped!


Yes, one year, and our cooling mat has destroyed itself. The material has really messed itself up in that cupboard! I have no idea why it's done what it's done, but all I can say is we won't be using that again. Oh, and another disappointment - it's smaller than I remember it to be! For some odd reason, I can't pluck up the courage to throw it away, hoping secretly that it might sort itself out again. That's not going to happen with ease! Silly me.

So I now have to improvise with the dogs' cooling methods. I've been inventing all these swell ways of keeping the dogs cool now the weather has taken a turn, and have some confidence that my ideas are good ones. But these will have to wait until another day, I'm afraid!

Something isn't quite right here mum...

At least we've had a couple of good summers out of this cooling mat. I remember when we first got it, and it arrived at our door the same day Earl and I had our very first proper agility competition -memories are wonderful things! Anyway, I will keep the mat, and leave it out flat for a while, to see if it may eventually sort itself out again. Chances are, it'll take a while, or it won't work at all, but we might as well try! We've got nothing to lose, and could possibly get some more use out of it if we succeed! Paws crossed!


We're joining our hosts Ruckus The Eskie, Love is Being Owned by a Husky! and Barking From The Bayou in the Thoughtless Thursday Blog Hop. We send many thanks their way, and you can join in below.


28 comments:

  1. HI, I don't know if you are aware but the way most of these work is that when they are put in storage for a long time,they go rock hard. A good soaking in warm,then cold water should restore it. When they are sold they have been presoaked but they don't tell you this (the same thing happened to me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, thanks for visiting our blog, and thanks for this information. Our mat hasn't gone hard, the material has just squished up, and won't restore itself. I'll have a go at your method though, just in case. I have never been told this - I ordered mine online.

      Delete
  2. I hope Rue's method works for you. That looks like a really cool mat. We don't have one, but we do have an old supermarket produce misting system installed and the dogs love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got a cooling mat for Kilo too. Looks like that. It didn't get that cool so I put it in the fridge then out for him after he had been dancing under lights for his video. To be honest, he didn't seem to love it. Did you like yours right away when it was working? Hope it restores itself. X Susie and Kilo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl really seemed to like it when we first got it, but Ethel's never really taken an interest. But sometimes, they'd both prefer to just laze around on the cool kitchen tiles or patio!

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Did it get a leak? I love my cooling mat in summertime. I hope you're staying cool without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I can't find anything wrong. We have some nice cool kitchen tiles, and the dogs like lying on them!

      Delete
  5. Hi Y'all,

    Hope it works. If not, will "the kids" get in a kiddie pool?

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl hates water, but maybe Ethel will like it more.

      Delete
  6. Oh no! That sucks about the cooling mat! I hate it when that sort of thing happens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just got a cooling mat
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could always move to a cooler climate... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be less hassle to just buy another cooling mat!

      Delete
  9. I guess everything has a lifespan! You need a/c!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad, we hope it revives! We should check into these!

    Your Pals,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we! You should - we'll be getting another one!

      Delete
  11. We hope one of the above suggestions works for you. It's no fun to be roasting in the heat!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we, we loved our cooling mat while it lasted. Luckily, we have some awesomely cool kitchen tiles, which the dogs love lying on to keep nice and cool.

      Delete
  12. Aw thats too bad!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is weird. I hope it will fix itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I still don't understand what caused it to do this!

      Delete