Friday 26 July 2013

Protecting your dog(s) in varied weathers...

I hope everyone is aware of what to do and what not to do in different weathers and climates when it comes to pets. I heard only the other day that some people would leave their dog in the car for '5-10 minuets' while they popped to the shops, simply to save the hassle of taking their dog back home and making sure he was cool. Ovens Cars turn so hot in the heat in less than 5-10 minuets. One of those people I was speaking to told me that they happily left their dog in the car when he was 'snoozing sound asleep'. I wondered how this made a difference to the car's temperature and risk to the dog's health? Sadly, I was one of the only ones in this discussion actually with me on this subject. The others agreed that 5-10 minuets wouldn't hurt. I think I gave up trying to win my side of the heated discussion and simply sighed with relief when a disappointing 'few' said that their dogs are too precious to risk even minor minuets in a hot car. I can't stand it in the car even driving in the heat, and I am not layered with fur like dogs are! My Earl is always whining and panting in a hot car when driving, so I only take him out in the heat when it is important/necessary - and I NEVER leave him alone in a hot car whilst not driving. 

As I left this discussion I worried about those people's dogs and how they usually coped in a hot car. If I wasn't going to get my point across, then I do hope that those people's cars have strong AC!! 

Some people may think: 'well what if my car windows are open? My dog can't get hot then can he'. I have an argument in store for that! - What if your unlucky enough to park around the area of a criminal? Dogs do get stolen from cars, it does happen! And with the windows open, your making this possibility even easier! 

Common sense is needed to understand the opposite to keeping your dog safe in hot weather. Keeping your dog warm in cold weather! Dressing your dog appropriately, i.e. with a padded, waterproof, high-vis, practical coat. 

Please be aware of the dangers for your dog(s) in hot (and cold, for the future months!) weather and climates, and do all you can to protect them against these evil risks - even if it means taking your dog back home and sat on some damp towels in a cool room then popping back to the shops or elsewhere. 

Earl and I.

P.S. Also, whilst keeping your dog safe, have some safe fun in the wonderful weather as well!

Below you will see some photos of ideas to help protect your pet THIS SUMMER, IN HOT WEATHER AND CLIMATES.

Keep your dog well hydrated with cold (maybe iced) water,

Make and give your dog an ice block filled with treats!

Invest in cooling products.

Fill a pool with cool water for your pet(s) to dip in.

Show your dog the shade. Make sure there are plenty of  good-sized shady spots available.
STOP play time when it, you or your pet gets to hot.

Chillax and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. Great article, BT! Just the type of thing people need to be reminded of, especially with all the unusually hot British weather!
    PL xx :)

    ReplyDelete