Tuesday 23 September 2014

Advice given on opinion - "I just want to train my dog!"

Hi all - Today, I am posting regarding an email I was sent not that long ago, regarding an issue with training their dog. It wasn't that training was going horribly wrong or anything… Here's the story…

I was emailed by Daisy, a 13 year old fellow Young Kennel Club member, who spends a life with her four year old Beagle female called Poppy. Now I would usually, knowing myself (!), add an exciting adjective in between the words 'a' and 'life'. Like 'blissful' or 'exciting'. However, sadly, for Daisy and Poppy, this isn't quite the case. 

Daisy asked me to write an article on my blog regarding this, as she was sure she wouldn't be the only one facing this problem. So I have done just that for Daisy and anyone else who would like to listen.


Says Daisy

So. What I told Daisy was, with this being such personal circumstances, firstly, to let her feelings be out and tell her parents how desperate she is. I would normally always say there is no excuse not to train a dog, but circumstances unexpectedly changed dramatically after getting Poppy and having a good start to training… Poor Daisy and her family had no idea that this would impact Poppy's training and time. I will leave it at that, as not to spread the word about Daisy's life story!! So.

Daisy also horse rides every fortnight, and she told me that this was also something in which was taking her time in which she could be spending training Poppy. So she would have to decide what she wanted to do more, of course, if she thought the hours she rode were too much to train too. 

Another thing, was her young sister was teasing and being mean to Poppy, including bending her tail (!). Again, I said to tell her parents, who can tell her sister off and make sure she never does that again, as they are, in the end, the responsible parents in charge.

Daisy said that she feels like a truly awful dog trainer. She is caught up with school and homework, which I only advises doing at the library in school time to free up more home time, if possible. However, no more advice on that issue because its so personal to her life.

I told Daisy that being so passionate and desperate to train her dog when its a tough road to do so is being a great dog trainer, for the fact that she simply wants it so badly. A BAD trainer wouldn't train because they just DON'T CARE. This is certainly not the issue we have here!!!

I told her that, as she wanted to train and compete like me and my two so badly, that competitions send us all around practically everywhere, and cost money too. They are thrilling, but we spend whole weekends or at the least a full and long day there, as much as I ADORE competitions of course, that is what happens (and I love it personally, but that is what happens, hehe).

After sending her reply and promising a blog post on the subject, I got a wonderful reply from Daisy who'd read my reply.

I'd asked her to tell me how many walks Poppy got a day, and in what form (on/off lead, street, field walks, by whom, etc).

She said that Poppy gets about 3 weeks per day, one a short one round the block, another one off lead across fields for a while (yay!) and another one, jogging to school to see Daisy at the end of the day and back with her dad (another great one, as not only is this great exercise if overdone on the joints, but it helps keep the nails at a good length). 

I also asked what sort of characteristics Poppy displays on a day-to-day basis. Daisy said that Poppy is a pretty laid-back dog of a 'go with the flow' kind of attitude. That's again great, with no anxious or upset behaviours that show an unhappy dog. Great stuff! Daisy!

And the biggest happiness in me right now, is that Daisy's parents have agreed to take her and Poppy to the October Young Kennel Club event, which I am also going to one, so it may be the same!! - Anyway, the main reason why I am so glad to hear this, is that Daisy will get a day/weekend training Poppy and nothing else, bonding with her dog and making progress, whilst having fun. Great result!

Also, if you want to find a dog trainer in your area, visit the Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) website.

I hope Daisy liked this post I dedicate to her, and anyone and everyone else too!

Now just for Daisy, I have put together a lovely photo collage including the photos she sent me of her beloved little girl Poppy!


Hope you like it Daisy - Poppy is a beautiful little Beagle dog :-)

***PLEASE NOTE***

All situations are completely personal to you if you have a similar issue, and as much as I love reading your questions and answering them, please do take into account that these are all my own words and honest opinions on the matter. I enjoy helping people however I am not a professional or expert on matters! 

15 comments:

  1. Mom Kim - I am at work rite now but as I see this is the UTMOST IMPORTANCE -had to take a few moments, especially when I saw the part about the sister being mean to Poppy. First, as the dog-mom to two WONDERFUL Beagles, who both have ttheir Canine Good Citizen standings and are TRAINED therapy dogs, I just need to say this - Beagles are the most wonderful, want to please altho NEED OBEDIENCE TRAINING! And tho they are instinctively loving - BEING MEAN TO THEM GETS AGGRESSION which is likely true of most breeds or mixed breeds. When my sister was breeding Westies - one of the pups was returned to her because he was biting and attacking the young kids in that family; WHY - the kids were mean to it. When a dog is returned to a shelter after being adopted, even puppies, a lot of times it is due to the way the dog is being handled and treated. I don't want to read down the road that Poppy was turned in to a shelter because she started biting - it will happen if the sister keeps being mean to her. I may come across as being overtly angry about this but nothing gets my dander up more than hearing about ANY dog being mistreated in this way.

    Ok - NOW that I have read the remainder of your blog post, and have taken a few cleansing breaths, I am so happy to read that Daisy and Poppy will be training together. But please make sure all understand - meaness begets meaness. If you want to delete this comment, that is okay - I am just very passionate about some things. I see and read too much bad happening to dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim - I am not going to delete your comment at all! I also felt very concerned and frustratingly upset when Daisy told me about her sister's attitude towards Poppy. You are correct. However all I can do is recommend the telling of her parents, which I did. Its mean. Its unfair. And hopefully, being a passionate and caring owner, young Daisy can follow my advice in which she said has helped her a lot and tell her parents with passion, and mean it. It must be dealt with.

      Delete
  2. And yes, Poppy IS a beautiful little Beagle - I love the picture of her on her doghouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poppy looks like a real sweety with a touch of mischief on the brain :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poppy is such a cute beagle!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Poppy is gorgeous!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great news on the training front and we so hope it goes well. Poppy is so adorable. We too love the pic on the dog house. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah hope all goes well for daisy, wish I was going to the October training weekend but I have no dog to take! Hopefully I will do soon
    Best barks Frada from My mutt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poppy is such a cutie. Hope you get to meet up at the training

    ReplyDelete