Tuesday 14 January 2014

The chosen Pair

Earl and I are delighted to announce that we have been chosen to appear in Dogs Monthly Magazine's HiLife Best Friend Trophy series! One incredible partnership between dog and owner is featured on a 2-page spread in the magazine each month, and only a few months before the end of the year, the public will be able to vote for their favourite story by simply emailing the names of the owner and dog that has been featured the last 12 months in which they wish to vote for. Our article is likely to feature in the May or June issue of Dogs Monthly Magazine - so buy a copy to read! We hope you will all vote for us when voting commences further to the end of the year. It is a simple email to vote - will be let you know via this blog when you can vote and the quick and easy way to do so!

Our story:

"My delightful and life changing Border Terrier, Earl has been my rock for the past almost 4 years. I had always been an extreme dog lover – it took me a while of sheer dedication to show my parents that I desperately needed a dog by my side. I even saved up my own pocket money towards Earl. I believe that was when my parents knew that if they took this decision, it would be the right one forever more, and guide my way through childhood. Not only that, but it would make me overcome the upsets life was going to throw at me.
Only a few years into my life my parents realised I needed glasses. They also then realised that for those past years of my young life, I had not seen the world as the place it is, but as a scary, blurry place full of mixed up people who towered above me. I had been a quivering wreck – every day was a battle for me as I felt everyone closing in on me. From then on, my school life was pure terror. In school I had to go into hospital due to an illness – that had a massive impact on how I was to get on when I returned due to what I had missed. Only a few years after I returned, not only was I realising that my ‘best friend’ was actually a nasty bully, but I was an anti-social, desperately shy little girl who never seemed to come out of her shell. People started to think I was just rude and no fun, as I couldn’t talk to anyone – I was just too afraid.
Earl was the only one in the litter of four male pups that came to me, looked straight into my eyes, and curled up on my lap for the entire time we were at the breeders. Those few magical words that I heard not long after my heart had chosen Earl really did change the world. They were the words I shall never forget; ‘do you want that puppy?’ A bond between us began to form immediately – and before I knew it, that one little dog was already beginning to change my nervous little life for the better.
When Earl came into my life, everyone noticed a difference in me. I became more confident, made more friends and kept them, and I seemed able to engage conversation with people, and the talk was all about Earl! Many people then started to get to know Earl – what he was like, his name, age, and breed. I felt extremely proud that he was mine and could talk about him easily. I was proud enough to talk to others and start to become more noticed and liked. I still sometimes have troubles with friends, through no fault of my own. But I can stand up to that now I have something amazing to come home to. When I am with Earl, I couldn’t care less about my human friends I see at school. Nobody compares to Earl – he never has anything spiteful to say to me, or anything negative about my ways like others did.

Now (and for the past almost 4 years) my life has been like nothing ever happened when I was younger. Earl and I started Obedience classes, then Agility classes, and finally improved so dramatically in the sport that we were asked to join an Agility Display Team and travel around showing the public what we are capable of – and how much fun you can have with a dog. At the start of 2013, Earl and I decided we were ready to start competing in agility. We have so far won 25 award rosettes, 8 certificates, 2 medals and 1 trophy. Our collection is vastly expanding and we have never come away from a competition without a prize as of yet! I am extremely proud and amazed at how far I have come since my younger experiences, but mainly I am truly proud of how Earl has brought me through it and made me fight it away. As for my parents, they are also over the moon and amazed at our progress together. They couldn’t be happier with their decision I helped them make over getting a dog – it has made my life worth living. Earl has also 99.9% removed my allergy to pet dander, being a hypo-allergenic breed.
Earl is my constant rock. He has developed me. I couldn’t be me without him. I have a bright future of dogs, and more of the companionship and joy Earl brings me. Earl has given me a purpose, and the skills of confidence and friendship."
We hope you like it! 

Earl has also been chosen by Dogs Today Magazine to feature in the Good Boy Treatment section in a future issue. This will also be how Earl has helped me in life. Look out for it in a future issue!
Earl and I are truly the best of friends and I couldn't be me without him.
Earl and I.

3 comments:

  1. wow! What an honor!!! I can't wait to see it when it gets all written!!!
    ((husky hugz))
    "love is being owned by a husky"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I am incredibly exited to see it in print!!!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! That is a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete