Sunday 13 April 2014

Black & White Sunday - HTM

On Friday evening, Earl and I attended our first ever Heelwork To Music (HTM) class! It was so much fun, and we learnt all sorts of different moves. 

You see, we started out just learning some of the fancy tricks and stunts before adding it to music! We still haven't done that yet, but the tricks are PAWsome! 

Unfortunately, we were too busy for the camera, so we had some taken of us doing our homework and practising at home. But today, just because its Sunday, I've converted the snapshots into b&w!



Above is our leg weave trick. You can perform this move in multiple different fashions - running backwards, call your dog to you and ask for a weave, run whilst weaving, walk whilst weaving, stand whilst weaving, and/or backwards weaving. I am sure there are many other ways in which we are just unaware of for the time being!

Below is our spin and turn trick. This is a very simple but effective twist of the dog. 


Next, is some simple walking up and down, aided by a treat in the handler's hand. We are looking for a dressage trot, where the head is high, legs widely spread when trotting, and the chest held proudly.

While your here, just look at Earl's hind leg muscle!!

Now, we have one of my favourites, and one of the easiest for us personally, being an agility pair. The jump over arm! 



Right. Now we have an ADORABLE move! Get ready for the roll together trick! Basically, the handler must lay opposite the dog, head to head. Now ask the dog for a roll (you can use treats) and you have to roll with him/her!!



We really hope you will try this fun canine activity with your own dog(s)! Its such a lot of frolicking fun, and you can even go on to compete in it too.


We are joining Golden Woofs: Sugar The Golden Retriever and Dachshund Nola for the Black And White Sunday Blog Hop.

P.S. Oh, and don't forget - today is a Sunday, which means we get a day off from the A-Z Blogging Challenge. But y'all come back tomorrow for 'L' day!!


33 comments:

  1. What fun! Thanks for hopping by and reminding me to get over here (it's so hard to get to everyone's blog during/between travels!) You KNOW I was excited to see how your heel work to music training progressed and WOW! You are doing SO much!!! Isn't heel work to music just the best? I wish I had all the time in the world to just dance the day away with my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome!! I know how hard visiting everyone is. I just did a tour round them all now and commented!! We are a very busy dog and owner, hehe! :-P Only the best way to be though! HTM is SO fun and amusing. Earl and I have a very good excuse to dance the day away… homeworking on the moves!! Thanks again for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Wow love that fun activity. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Y'all!

    That looks like fun! If only I wasn't so BIG! My Human tried to teach me the leg weave years ago and if she didn't lift her leg high enough so I could go under I'd lift her and knock her over. I do a rollover, but if my Human is on the ground I still want to pounce on her and play! (Hope my Human doesn't read this, she might want to trade me in for a smaller version) :(

    Thanks for stoppin' by for a visit!

    Y'all come back now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just playful, no harm in that! Maybe something else would suit you better? You seem like a great runner :-)

      Delete
  4. Pawsome tricks!! We learnt leg weaving in the last month but have no idea what this dressage trot is all about! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Dressage trot is just a posh run :-P

      Delete
  5. Nice! The thought of heel makes Mom cringe as she is trying to get Bailie to heel but is not real successful. Mom isn't big on the heel command so it is all the more difficult to get her to walk that way, but they will master it. Maybe if Bailie got some music with earbuds it would help ;) Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of heelwork to music. What an awesomely fun thing to do! I'm going to see if there's a class near me!

    --Woofs (and purrs) from Life with Dogs and Cats

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like Earl's picking it up quickly , although we haven't been to classes, I love doing HTM and Freestyle with Millie! She is really good (when she wants!). I'm sure you and Earl will have a great time doing it together!
    Imogen and Millie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun idea! I wonder if my dog would go for something like that. I need to check to see if they have something like that around here. She'd probably be too busy watching the other dogs in the class to dance, though.

    Visiting from the A to Z Challenge signup page. Great to meet you!

    Stephanie Faris, author
    30 Days of No Gossip
    http://stephie5741.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you Stephanie!

      Give it a shot!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a FUN FUN FUN class. Pawsome way to learn such an important command. Have a wonderful Sunday. Golden Woofs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a FUN FUN FUN class. Pawsome way to learn such an important command. Have a wonderful Sunday. Golden Woofs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sugar, you felt so strongly about what you wanted to say you woofed it again, BOL! ;-)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a ton of fun!!!
    ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are looking marvelous Earl! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks like fun and a good workout for both dog and human!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that looks like so much fun! I love watching heelwork to music, it was my favourite thing at Crufts this year... you look like you are doing really great, Earl. Maybe we will get to see you compete at Crufts one day! I want your signature if you do!
    Hugs, Carrie (Myfie, Ellie and Millie) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl will happily paw print a signature for you :-P

      But what will we be competing in?! HTM or Agility? We're rooting both!!!

      Delete
  15. That looks like fun! Maybe we can get our mommy to do that with us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post as always! Earl certainly seems to be enjoying his tricks! I love Heelwork To Music and although I haven't attended classes, Charlie Boy and I, do a lot of HTM at home!! My favourite photos are the first and ESPECIALLY the last one - such a cutie!

    Take care guys!
    Jessica, Charlie Boy, Roman, Brooke, Kitty-Aslan and Snarfy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Nice to see you over here, thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  17. That sounds like lots of fun! It's great to do something where you're both having fun together.

    ReplyDelete