Monday 27 April 2015

W is for Wings

When training your dog in agility, the wings on the jumps are important. This is the difference between a wide wrap, and a tight wrap; the difference between seconds gained and seconds lost. You want to loose those seconds, and beat the clock. And on agility courses, you are going to see a lot of jumps. So ensure you teach tight wing wraps. Toys are a great way to teach this; tugging rewards are a favourite in many motivated agility dogs.


To teach your dog to wing wrap, you must use difference commands for wrapping tight left, and wrapping tight right. I use 'right' and 'left' for wing wraps in those directions... it's as simple as that! If you are worried about the general right and left commands, as in changing direction from one obstacle to the next, I use 'wide' for right and 'low' for left. Devise your own commands. Remember, calling it 'banana' would work with your dog; he doesn't know! Using tug toys or high value food rewards, depending on your dog's motivation, is a good method. Leave your dog in a wait, release him, and just as he goes to jump, say your wrap command for whatever direction you are practicing. Back up and wave the toy excitedly, crossing over to the other side of the jump, for an extra tight wrap. As your dog wraps tight to get at the toy/treat faster, reward hugely. Keep practicing on each side, and soon, you will have a dog with a drive to get that reward as quick as he can, by wrapping all those wings tight. You have just saved seconds!





We are joining our hosts Snoopy's Dogblog, Alfie's Blog and My Brown Newfies for the Monday Mischief Blog Hop. We send many thanks their way, and you can join in below.


30 comments:

  1. Da only wrappin I know Earl my pals is da wrappin on my noms....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Earl, I better try that with my dad... my momma is a girl and this species has sometimes problems with the directions :o)
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff to know Earl. I'm seriously thinking about getting Jax into agility when he gets a little older. So I'm extremely interested whenever I read about the training process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you found our post useful! Good luck if you do start agility with Jax, and if you do, we would love to hear about it - borderterriersruleOK@gmail.com

      Delete
  4. You're such an amazing agility dog Earl! I'm sure you don't waste any valuable seconds!
    Wags and Woofs from Imogen and Millie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you so much! No, I will say we are a speedy duo.

      Delete
  5. Ha - I thought you were going to talk about flying over the agility course...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great feature! You're all amazing!

    I actually only use one word for wing wraps - "check" - and it works both ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Aw, thanks so much. We appreciative that. Good word, as well.

      Delete
  7. We fly too, but not on command!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that's a term I never heard before! Learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Wings. Wings on a jump, not on your back!

      Delete
  9. Good pointers from a pro
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you have a favorite tug you like? I'm trying to find one for Mr. N.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Earl likes his non-stuffing raggy tugs. Ethel likes one with a tennis ball attached.

      Delete
  11. You are sure a master with all of this agility stuffs, Earl!

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are really enjoying your agility post A-Z this month!!
    Smileys!
    Dory, Jakey, Arty and Bilbo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we are SUPER glad to hear that!

      Delete
  13. Great word, I know nothing about agility so this was informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad we helped you learn about agility.

      Delete
  14. Wow I could use some agility :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We love learning more about agility.

    ReplyDelete